The following was saved from the old blog.leadcritic.com website, just in case anyone was looking for it (Source: archive.org):
If I were starting a new lead generation company, and I’m not, here are a few new things I would try:
1. Start with content - I would focus first on content. I would hire hungry, creative copywriters and journalist and this would be their mission:
- Focus only on topics interesting to consumers
- Scour the industry for smart and interesting voices and engage them
- Snoop out trends, tips, and teasers
- Work like a gossip columnist
2. Add in profiles - Not a Web form on your loan amount and credit grade! Think eHarmony. I want to know:
- Why you are you interested in mortgages?
- How many times have your purchased or refinanced?
- What are your financial objectives & goals?
- What is your current mortgage or rent situation
- Tell me what you want me to Alert (email opt-in) you about
- Tell me when you need a mortgage or even better let me make a suggestions when it is time
3. Sprinkle in Social Tools (Don’t build your own!) - That just gives me one more thing to check. Do it like this:
- Create a Facebook app to feed in your content
- Create a Twitter feed, maybe even a Twitter gram–break news here first
- Leverage LinkedIn, more on this in a minute
- Add in plenty of RSS
4. Build momentum and consumers - Time to stock the pond and create the buzz:
- Do a little PR. DIY or Professional.
- Pepper the network and relationships with some emails and telephone calls
- Find a few more new relationships (make sure they are important) to tell about your cool lead generation platform
- Create some widgets
- Get mentioned where high net worth consumers hang out: here, here, here, here, and even here
5. Add in your revenue (Time to make money and happy consumers) - Bring in the mortgage bankers and brokers:
- Allow bankers and brokers to sign-up for a monthly subscription. Credit card only please!
- Subscriptions gives you the opportunity to post your LinkedIN profile (your reputation is your business card)
- Each subscriber gets a blog or can add in their existing RSS feed
- Each subscriber gets to build a consumer profile. This is where you get your real-time personally matched leads
How would you build your lead generation company?